Air conditioners serve to keep you relaxed and comfortable. In turn, we as parents, bring in all undertakings to make babies relaxed. You may be confused if it’s safe to use an AC. And whether there is such an AC? Moreover, how to operate it, such that the baby is safe and sleeps peacefully?
Babies are very delicate. You need to understand that neither too hot nor too cold is good for the baby’s health. A moderate temperature is comfortable. Also, adequately cooled room reduces SIDS (SIDS is Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). A pediatrician suggests keeping the temperature range between 22 – 26°C.
If you are pondering over this question, we recommend that you read the entire article. I have a 2-year-old daughter and had the same doubts in mind. So, I researched it thoroughly and put this writeup together for you.
In this article, I will talk over every aspect that you require to learn while using an AC for your baby.
Is sleeping in An AC room safe for a baby?
Yes, it is absolutely safe for a baby to sleep in an Air-Conditioned room!
You only need to take some precautions while making them sleep in an AC room. It is also said that hot and humid weather might bring more irritation to babies. It will be a better option to make them rest in a cool room where they can feel relaxed.
Do babies sleep better in a cooler room?
Babies are very delicate, especially the new-borns. They can’t adjust to the heat which brings heat stroke, heat exhaustion, and rashes as well. Also, adequately cooled room reduces SIDS and helps them sleep comfortably. SIDS is Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
You need to understand that neither too hot nor excessively cold is good for the baby’s health. A moderate temperature will make them feel comfortable.
What should the AC be set at for a baby?
A delicate body like a baby needs a relaxed room temperature. Studies suggest that parents often ask their doctors “What temperature should baby’s room be overnight?”
Any change in the surrounding’s temperature will affect the functioning of your cooler or Air Conditioner. You need to adjust the temperature to make it warm or cold. This will add more comfort to your baby.
Taking your baby’s temperature
It is time to be concerned when these things are seen in your baby:
- less responsive
- flushed cheeks,
- feels sweaty or is hot to the touch
- Put the thermometer under the baby’s armpit while your baby is comfortable on your lap.
- Hold their arm close to their body (for 15 seconds).
- Check the reading on the thermometer screen. (Source)
A pediatrician suggests keeping the temperature range between 22 – 26°C. This is neither too warm nor too cool. Which is better for the baby to set the timer what it takes to cool the room. You can use your watch and set the timer if you don’t have a timer in your AC.
Basically, you can also use your thermometer to see the temperature of your room. You can do this when your Air Conditioner doesn’t have a temperature display.
Which is better for a baby: An air conditioner, fan, or a cooler?
- In case you have a cooler in your room, you need to keep your space properly ventilated. A door or window should be slightly opened to pass the air. This needs to be done especially in the monsoon.
- A cooler elevates the humidity level of air. Ultimately, the cooling might stop. The room will become more sticky and warm. Therefore, the cooler needs proper ventilation.
- A fan can also do the work but sometimes the weather conditions are not good. During a hot and humid climate, the air from the fan becomes hot. This will make you feel more uncomfortable
- All in all, today’s Air Conditioners are multi-function. They have various modes. They cool the room, maintain the temperature, dehumidifiers the room. Another advantage is that they do not make noise. Therefore, it is suitable to give your babies a quiet, cool environment.
How should you dress your baby to sleep in an AC room?
First and foremost, you should not keep your baby in direct contact with the blow of air. Your baby needs a cool environment, not cold air. You need to understand the difference.
You should dress your baby with a light yet full clothes that cover legs and arms as well. Your baby won’t get ill from the cold air.
Use a light cap on the head. Also, try to use light cotton socks to cover their feet.
You can put a light blanket. Make sure to tuck it below its hands. This will endure that it doesn’t cover the baby’s face.
Most importantly, they should be wearing more comfy clothes. The clothes should not be very warm or wrapped too tight. It might bring discomfort or suffocation.
After being in AC, the body temperature gets adapted to that temperature. Make sure that you don’t put them in a warm environment immediately. This can make your baby sick. It’s better that you turn off the AC and let your baby adjust to the temperature slowly.
Also, moisturize the baby’s body so that the skin doesn’t set dry. You can also keep water in a small bowl or any other container near AC. This will maintain the moisture level in the room and eliminate excessive dryness.
What are the other precautions needed while using an Air Conditioner?
You need to Service you AC regularly
- When a baby is born in your house, you need to take extra precautions with clean lines. This also implies in your Air Conditioner.
- You need to service your AC on a regular basis.
- The dust can be toxic for your baby. The filter needs no be cleaned at regular intervals.
- You also need to avoid immediate temperature changes. Babies are very sensitive to even slight fluctuations in temperature.
- Check our article where we have discussed the cleaning schedule for AC filters.
Which Ac’s are good for a baby room?
Any Air Conditioner which ensures proper distribution of air in a room and is noise-free is ideal for a baby.
Air conditioners are the most decent way to enrich indoor air quality. This will help in keeping temperature organized at optimal degrees.
Chilled air does not merely eliminate pollutants. It also regulates humidity levels which won’t irritate the baby’s underdeveloped respiratory systems. A portable AC can be carried in all parts of your home, whether it is your dining hall or room.
Ceiling fans cannot serve the purpose of all the seasons. In a country like India, it is excessively hot sometimes. Fans can regulate the air. It does not regulate the temperature or humidity. Some of the good portable Air Conditioners are
BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner
- It has a Cooling area of 100 square feet
- It is 8000 BTU Air Conditioner
- It used R410a refrigerant
- It has 8.73 EER rating
- It has 24-hour timer along with sleep mode
- It retains 1.9 pints/ hourly
- It offers a1-year warranty on the product and 5 years warranty on the compressor
- Unit dimensions are 16.5 x 11.5 x 26 inches
- the Weight of this AC is 53 pounds
- It comes with a remote to keep the functioning handy.
Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner with Heater
- The Cooling area of this Air Conditioner is 500 square feet
- The temperature can be controlled with remote easily.
- The BTU is 14000
- the Unit dimensions is 16 x 19 x 35.5 inches
- It alsodehumidifies the air very well making your summers comfortable.
- A dual-hose portable air conditioner with heater has an EER rating ranging between 9.0 and 14.5.
- This unit has 11.3 EER
- the weight of this unit is 80 pounds.
- It ensures a warranty of 1 year from the date it has been bought.
Daikin 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC Copper
- The PM is 2.5
- It has aCoanda airflow. This airflow is specially designed to distribute the air evenly in the room. It will ensure that the air does not directly fall intothe baby’s head.
- The Econo mode allows saving power
- It uses an R32 refrigerant. It is environment friendly
- It is energy-efficient 5-star AC
- ISEER value is 5.33
- EER value is 5.33 W/W
LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC Copper
- It has adual rotary compressor so that the air is distributed evenly in the room.
- 100% copper is used for extra protection.
- It is Furnished with Himalaya cool technology. It quickly cools the AC.
- It also Detects low refrigerant by itself. It eliminatesunhealthy particles from the air. It also ensures consistentdiffusion of cool air from the Air Conditioner.
- It has a 1-year warranty on the unit.
- The cooling capacity is 5100 watts
- It has 10 years warranty on the compressor
- EER is 4.73 W/W
- ISEER is 4.73
- It uses R32 refrigerant which is absolutely eco friendly
- It has all the modern Luxury present in it.
Inspecting on your infant frequently will enable you to keep them comfortable. If you see that the baby has reddened cheeks, you can regulate the temperature. Sweat on the forehead of the baby indicates that you lowe rthe air conditioner’s temperature little.
You can also switch on the fan if you don’t wish to lower the temperature. Just keep in mind that you shouldn’t directly push air on the baby’s head. This can result in illness. Babies are sensitive to temperature and climate fluctuations.
The HVAC system needs to be maintained regularly. They often quote “our air care is beyond compare”. If you do not maintain it, you can risk your baby to the exposure to dust particles. You need to take care of your baby’s respiratory system.
A thorough cleaning of Air Conditioners is as necessary as keeping your room clean. Always keep the baby’s head covered while operating the AC. Making your baby feel relaxed is quite easy if you take some precautions.