This article is about the star rating (5-star rating ac India vs 3 star AC) and energy efficiency of an AC.
Basically, India is a hot country with scorching summers. Also, global warming is playing its role, you know. Thus, it is pretty clear that you should be on the lookout to buy a top-rated AC from a trusted brand.
- Why the focus on the star rating (eg. 3-star, 5-star ac)?
- The Indian government has made it compulsory in 2010 to have appliances rated by the BEE.
- What does BEE do?
- Basically, they check the efficiency of the machines and rate them. So, the better your device or machine, the higher your BEE rating.
- What are SEER? What is BTU?
- Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. And it is used commonly to rate an AC.
- Practical Tips about AC Star rating (5 star or 3 star AC)
- A new 3 star AC is better than an old 5 star AC and much more..
- Calculating Power Consumption of your 5 star AC
- No of hours of use per day and power (Watts) of the AC
- Parameters apart from the AC Star Rating
- Ceiling height,
- Whether terrace flat or not,
- Direct sunlight or not,
- Number of openings in your room,
- Hours of usage,
- How many people will be there in the room
- Room size
You may also like: Best AC with 3 star rating in India
To read more about Energy star rating in ACs and other devices, click this link.
Why the focus on the star rating (eg. 5-star ac)?
So, to start off I would say that the Indian government has made it compulsory in 2010 to have appliances rated by the BEE.
What does BEE do?
You would wonder what is BEE? Well, it is the Bureau of Energy Efficiency. Basically, they check the efficiency of the machines and rate them. It is a gold standard of sorts, you know! So, the better your device or machine, the higher your BEE rating. Also, the BEE rates machines or home appliances in all sectors.
Best 5 star AC in India: Read More
Do you know the Best AC under 30k: Find out here
What are SEER? What is BTU?
Another one that you should know is SEER. But, you must know that SEER is the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. And it is used commonly to rate an AC.
To be clear, the SEER compares the cooling capacity and the total energy used by the AC. Here, you can say that the cooling is measured using another unit known as the BTU. And you can use Watts to measure the energy consumed.
Chiefly, the BTU is British Thermal Units. It is a measure of cooling of the AC.
Practical Tips about AC Star rating (5 stars or 3 star AC)
- Basically, a 5-star rating ac in India is 15 to 20% more efficient than a 3 Star AC.
- The BEE redefines its rating system every 1 or 2 years. So what it means for you is that the AC that was a 5 star rated in 2013 will not even be a 1 star today.
- If you are planning to buy a used 5-Star rating AC in India, then I would suggest you should rather go for a 3 Star AC, but a new one.
- Today, most inverter air conditioners in the Indian market are 4 stars or 5 stars rated.
Calculating Power Consumption of your 5 star AC
Firstly, just consider two different ACs. One of them is a 5 star AC and another one is a 3 Star. However, both have a 1.5 ton capacity.
|Usage – Per day 8 hrs à Per month 30 days So, 30 x 8 = 240 hours of usage||5 * 1.5 Ton AC 1450W||3* 1.5 Ton AC 1650W|
|Power Usage||(1450 x 240)/1000 = 348 units||(1650 x 240)/1000 = 384 units|
|Difference||Rs. 2436/-||Rs. 2688/-|
|What is the Catch?||Upfront cost is much more||Much less|
|Final Word||Not so advisable||Better in the long run|
Parameters apart from the AC Star Rating
I would like to tell you that there are many factors to consider before buying the best AC. You can start with your Room Parameters and usage. They are ceiling height, whether terrace flat or not, direct sunlight or not, number of openings in your room.
Also, you can keep in mind about the number of hours of usage, how many people will be there in the room etc.
Area of the room: If your room size is 100 sq ft the go for 1 Ton AC. However, If Your room is medium-sized around 150 sq ft, then buy a 1.5 Ton AC. Moreover, if it is a much bigger room like 200 sq ft, then go for a 2 ton AC.
But, always consider the height of your room. If the ceiling height is more than 11 feet, or there is direct sunlight, then a 1 Ton AC won’t work. Just go for a bigger AC.
Additionally, if leakages are more and you have a terrace flat or there is direct sunlight in the room, the you can go for Inverter AC. Inverter AC is more suitable for such conditions.
You now know the ins and outs of AC and energy star rating. Moreover, you are well-armed with the knowledge to make a decision. You can decide on your own which 5 star AC is the best for you.
I can give you an additional tip. Just go and visit the electronics store. And then touch and feel the devices for yourself. After all is said and done, you now have all the tools to finalise the AC.
Just go and buy it now! Because, after all the hard work that you have put in, you want the fruit to be sweet. I hope I was of some help to you.